Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Xenical Reviewed For Over-the-Counter Sales

I saw an article today about the prescription fat-blocking drug Xenical being up for review as an over-the-counter drug. I wondered how effective this drug was, since I know a lot of people have trouble losing weight, and far be it for me to criticise how people manage their weightloss. I was suprised to see that the studies showed an average of 12.4 lbs loss in six months, compared to half of that for the placebo group, when combined with an exercise plan. I can see why US sales of Xenical are only $102 million, and worldwide sales are $500 million for 2004. Plus the drug costs about $100/month, and is generally not covered by insurance plans. And you have to take 6 pills a day.

On the other hand, I lost my weight at a rate 5 times faster than the patients on Xenical. Would people really go through the hassle and expense to lose only a little amount of weight? Probably, when they start advertising it on television. I guess that's why analysts are projecting $5 billion in annual sales by the end of the decade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home