Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Sweet Potato Fries, 2nd Attempt


Much better this time, thanks Cat. That ziplock bag trick was really cool. I figured out how to clean it too -- just pour a little dishwashing liquid into it, fill it with hot water, and shake. But back to the fries. I added garlic, cumin, rosemary, a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Tasted great, and pretty simple to make. And, sweet potatoes are pretty nutritious. For each 100g (uncooked), there's 86 calories, 3g of fibre, and 1.6g of protein. I used a 550g potato, so I figured I had about 500 calories, spread over lunch, snack, and dinner.

7 Comments:

At 3:34 AM, Blogger Cat said...

oooo looks tasty. now i wonder why they arent orangey? i thought all sweet potatoes were some shade of orange?

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger stephenhow said...

You're not thinking of "yams", are you? I used to confuse the two, but here in the US, sweet potatoes are definitely not orange, the flesh is white. Yams are deep orange, and they're pretty sweet. I don't think they'd make good fries though, because they have more water content. But, once sliced, you never know. You need to take a picture the next time you cook them :)

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Very Anonymous Mike said...

I've had yams as fries, and they are awesome! Can you post the actual recipe to the baked fries you keep showing? (And by "recipe," I mean the name of the restaurant at which you bought them.)

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger Cat said...

it could be, we only have one type here, long and knobbly called 'zoete aardappel' which translates exactly as sweet potato. of course since thats all there is, it very well could be a yam since i have no idea what i yam is or what it looks like :)
http://www.superdeboer.nl/Wijzer2/index.asp?ItemId=3866&Wijzer2Id=119
maybe looking at this photo you could tell me?

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger stephenhow said...

I think we're talking about the same potato. These don't look too orange. I made more last night. I might try regular potatoes with the same spices.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Cat said...

then what i originally thought was a sweet potato and although is translated as sweet potato must be a yam.... the one i sent you in the link says its from mexico and has been used since inca times... the one you showed me i have not seen in stores here in the south but maybe im just not looking in the right places :)
good to clear that up though, its hard sometimes this language that so many things fall under 1 word, we have the same word for elk & moose even though they are completely different animals in every way AND in English :)

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Very Anonymous Mike said...

Mine were very orange.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home