Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Talking In The Gym

I'm probably incapable of connecting with people anyways, but this problem seems more pronounced at the gym. I can go to the gym for a year, and not talk to anyone. I remember when I used to go to my local gym a few years ago, that I ended up being friendly with 4 people in the course of 2 years. People just don't talk at the gym. I guess people describe themselves as "all business" when they do their workouts. I do find it a little irritating to have a long conversation, when I really want to be hitting a machine. But, I don't share even a nod with most people I'll see more regularly than family members. In fact, these people are my family, my disfunctional family. It used to be that my family was the regulars at the Lucky Lady card room. I guess when you spend about 20 hours a week seated with the same guys, folding a lot of hands, having fun, cracking jokes, you end up talking about everything, except politics. I'd say religion was off-limits too, except with Ukranian Jesus (Vladimir), who was capabile of having a sane discussion about it.

On the other hand, I noticed that we all end up talking and lingering around Outdoor Fitness Camp. It seems to break the social barrier normally associated with exercise. Weird. There's actually a bonding in the group, probably similar to the effect you get with recruits at boot camp. Not like the trainers are drill sergents or anything, but the common experience of straining long-neglected muscles, and getting back to a simplier enviroment seems to bring out the human in us.

Anyway, I hope my chest gets better by tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I'll re-injure it, and end up waiting longer for it to recover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home