Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Most People Underestimate Calories

Even when people think they're counting every calorie, they're miscounting many things. I see it all the time. Even by people who think they're severly restricting their calorie intake. Then, they won't lose weight, and they'll think something's wrong, and develop a bunch of misconceptions about nutrition and weightloss. Seriously, the inability of people to accurately count calories has resulted in this ridiculous "diet" industry, bizarre fads, and general confusion.

Part of the problem is the stupid US measurement system, with pounds and ounces. An ounce is a very large mass, compared to the resolution I use for food logging. (1 oz = 28.4g) Technology has improved now, so I can get a kick-ass digital food scale with 1g precision in a stainless finish for $50 at Williams & Sonoma. Then, I can lookup all the foods I eat at the USDA Nutrient Database, and use a spreadsheet to add up my calories. Ok, it takes some effort, but I'd rather do this than worry about how much I've eaten, why haven't I lost weight, what's wrong with my metabolism business. Even Lance Armstrong does this. And that guy burns like 5000 calories a day.

Everybody buy a scale, set up your spreadsheets, blog, and make me happy. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...


Meat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home