Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Wheat Berries

I saw these in the bulk section of my natural food store, and I wondered if they were any good. Well, actually I wondered what they were at first, since I'd never seen them before. I figured it was something like unmilled wheat, which it is, but I was suprised it takes over an hour to cook.

I've made a few batches so far, and I like them. They have a nutty flavour, and are quite filling. They're probably better for you than brown rice, and probably have less calories. Anyway, I prepare them by soaking them overnight, then boiling them in beef broth for a little over an hour. Finally, I fry them up in the skillet after I make chicken or beef. They seem to go a long way. One batch will last the whole week.

3 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Blogger Cat said...

fascinating new things, have you tried bulgur? if you find the stuff that is presteamed it only takes 15mins instead of the soak for 8 hours and cook for 1 hour. If you do decide to try some its very nice cooked in stock then with pinenuts, raisins and curry powder. deeeelicious

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger stephenhow said...

Mmmmm. Will have to try that.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Very Anonymous Mike said...

I once had a curry donut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home