Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Recovered From The Klondike Bars

My weight settled back down to 76.6 kg this morning, which isn't bad considering I binged on Thursday, eating a Carls' Jr. Super Star w/ cheese and large fries combo, then half an hour later, 6 Klondike Bars in quick succession. People ask me, "Why 6 of them?" If you can't figure out the obvious answer, take a look at the package <<--.

People also ask why I order the Super Star. Probably because I remember it as the biggest burger (it has two patties), even though the Six-Dollar burger is bigger these days. But I never really liked the Six-Dollar burger. It's supposed to be a premium restaurant-quality burger, but it just tastes like two $3 burgers. And of course, there's the double Six-Dollar burger, which for some reason is listed in the nutritional info, but without any data. So, my binge had a listed calorie total = 920 + 620 + 6*250 = 3040 calories. But of course, we know there's more calories than they list in their nutritional table, as Morgan Spurlock showed (analysis showed 10-20% more calories than stated).

What did I really want on this binge? I thought about it as I was driving home, considering a medium thin crust veggie from Round Table Pizza, a carne asada burrito and three rolled tacos from Robertos, or an entire french roll pre-made sub sandwich from the grocery store. I also briefly considered cooking, but I was feeling out-of-sorts, and just wanted immediate comfort food. It was too much trouble to take an extra freeway exit to get the burritos, or order the pizza, so I just went with the Carl's Jr. drive-thru near my house, the most convenient option.

Ultimately, the binge wasn't really satisfying, and I could have eaten more after the Klondike Bars. It did settle my stomach though, and I didn't even feel bloated after eating all of it.

I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder. I think it's pretty much natural to occassionally "pig out". Remember when we used this simple language, instead of the victim-oriented terms like "eating disorder", "binge", and "filling the void"? Come on, I'm not the one packaging the Klondikes into Multi-Packs, dammit.

3 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Cat said...

the way ive always seen it as if they only wanted us to eat 1 serving, everything would be in single serving packets. self control is overrated when things taste good and the brain is demanding satisfaction! i mean, a pint of ben'n'jerrys is supposed to be 4 servings. the hell it is... its 1 small container that fits in my hand and then nicely in my stomach. its 1 1200 calorie serving. so there. and i had one last night so we can celebrate in our icecream daze together :)

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger stephenhow said...

It's not just you and me, Cat. And it's not just some individuals that confide to us either. It's the bane of the affluent nations. I happened to read the Wikipedia entry on binge overeating disorder, and laughed at the part where they say it affects 2% of the population. Ha ha. If it were that small, the US snack industry would go out of business. And what's the difference between "binging" on a pint of ice cream (1200 cal) vs. "eating" a Big Mac Extra Value meal (1390 cal)?

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Cat said...

YES! exactly, the difference is they make that 'bingeing' something so ugly even though a lot of 'binges' are -like you said- typically lower in calories than most average peoples rgular meals... i scoff in the face of statistics *scoff*
ps.that was an interesting article, thanks for posting it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home