Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

$32.33 USD


I'm sick of overpaying at Whole Foods. However, they maintain some mysterious power over me, which pulls me back into the store over and over. At Henry's, a similar basket of goods would cost about $15. I paid $3.99 for that string chese block in the back. The apple here costs $.88, where its about $.10 at Henry's. Once I bought an apple and a pair from Henry's for $.17. It seems pretty silly to go through the process of operating the cash register for $.17. I bet that organic natural soda behind me in line rung up at $3.99.

So what is it that makes people happily and loyally overpay for their groceries at Whole Foods? The quality and variety of the food? The swankiness of the store? The social scene? I have to admit, for me, it's the Old World atmosphere of the store. It's the people behind the counters cutting and weighing the meats. It feels like a market.

There must be other happy shopping places in town. I know that Ranch 99 is the closest thing to a Chinese market, and people really like it. There has to be a nice little market in Little Italy as well. I'll find something.

3 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Very Anonymous Mike said...

The other night, my friend went to Whore Foods to pick up dinner. He got one of those boxes you put whatever into, and paid by weight. He didn't have that much, but paid $15.50. He should have been able to feed all of us for that much. Diner's don't charge that much. He asked where was his beer.

Also, Ranch 99 rules! Go to the place in the back, and get the calamari.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger stephenhow said...

Yep, those are the $7/pound salads. No matter how small you make your salad, it weighs at least a pound. If you put what you want in it, it'll cost a small fortune. One time, a girl only had $10 with her, and was afraid her salad cost more than $10. She was shy about it, but she was really looking for a few extra dollars to cover her bill. I brought her to the checkout, and paid the extra buck or two she needed. Ackward moment for a yuppie.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Cat said...

it seems we arent the only ones who need a second mortage just for shopping ;) i'll get out there some day to do a europix entry in your honour

 

Post a Comment

<< Home