Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Day At The Beach


We had another summer October day in San Diego, so I decided to take a run at Torrey Pines State Park, and jump into the surf afterwards. This is my first official run since coming back from obesity, and it felt great. I stretched, then took off running up the 2km hill from the beach to the top of Torrey Pines. The spinning really got me in shape, because I was barely breaking a sweat when I got to the top of the long hill. I actually felt light on my feet, even though I still need to lose another 6 kg. I passed a few runners, and the only discomfort were the outsides of my little toes rubbing against my shoes. That'll get better once I develop some callouses. Honestly, when I was overweight and limping around, I thought my days of running Torrey Pines were through. I thought I threw that all away (via violation of the "use it or lose it" arthritis rule). The run was about 5km, including the 2km hill.

Afterwards, I changed into swim trunks, and got into the water. At first, the water felt prohibitively cold, but after taking the plunge, it felt perfectly warm (it was probably around 20 degC). I walked around and talked to two guys surf fishing. They caught a few perch, and they decribed how they deep fry it. I talked to a German lady on vacation, while her granddaughter was poking at a washed-up jellyfish.

Finally, I met two 20-something guys on bikes packed with camping gear. They just rolled in, and I asked them how far they've been riding. They had grown-out hair and beards, and kind of had a unibomber look to them. I caught them as they were finishing up a trip from Olympus, WA to San Diego, which is like 2250 km. They'd been riding for a month with a group, and were finishing up their trip on their own, before they flew back to New York. Turns out they've been blogging their trip, so you can read about it. Funny when two blogs collide in real life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home