Tasty Food Diet

I'm on a fitness and weightloss mission, while looking for the best take-away food around.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Tamale House


After the OFC workout this morning, I went searching the neighbourhoods around downtown for an authentic place for lunch. Pretty quickly, I found this place on 25th and Market. It's a very small place where they specialize in tamales, and they had about 6 people in the kitchen making them for the day. I had two there, and took a half dozen to go. It was a Spanish-only conversation, and everyone in the kitchen took turns staring at me.

3 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

What is a tamale? Tamale's pop up often in Kalifornian blogs/tv shows/books, and I have no idea what I'm missing! Is it made of wheat/wheat flour? I'll defenitely have to try some when I'll be in LA next month.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger stephenhow said...

Tracy,

Here's a picture of the tamales I ate. It's made of corn masa or something. If you ask someone for authentic tamales in LA, you're bound to find them.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Very Anonymous Mike said...

Tracy, tamales are food of the gods if made correctly. They are wonderful items wrapped in a steamed corn masa. They have beef, chicken, cheese, pinapple, raisin, and more cheese. Depending what part of the country you're from, you should seek one out. (Not in the midwest, where they consider ketchup a "hot sauce.")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home